There is a nine million homes backlog in Pakistan. Inflation and the rising trend in prices means that home ownership is out of reach for Pakistanis on a low income.
Transforming the market in Pakistan
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between The Bank of Punjab and Reall reflects our shared mission to promote and provide quality, affordable housing in Pakistan. It allows the financing of builders and developers to build more affordable houses at a quicker pace for hard-working families.
The Bank will also provide loans to the prospective low income buyers of the homes at subsidised rates as part of the Government’s agenda to provide affordable housing to the masses.
Emma Ahmed, Reall’s Head of Operations Asia, said: “It’s a great privilege for Reall to work with the Bank of Punjab to develop the affordable housing ecosystem in Pakistan. Together, we will prove the viability of lending to the informal sector and deliver sustainable, affordable housing at scale in a way that is deeply impactful and genuinely commercially viable.
This will transform the affordable housing market for the better in Pakistan while setting out a blueprint for other markets across the globe. Together, we can unlock a huge untapped market opportunity for the private sector and improve the life chances of millions of people on low incomes.”
Reall’s work in Pakistan
- Reall have operated in Pakistan since 1992
- Through Ansaar Management Company (AMC), Reall have financed projects in Faisalabad, Lahore, Multan and Peshawar
- EPL – a Lahore based firm delivering high quality affordable housing – are one of Reall’s newer partners
- Projects are also planned with Modulus Tech – a Karachi based, climate-smart, start-up
- Read our Pakistan Impact Summary Brief (9 pages, PDF, 200KB)
- Make an impact by investing in our work
- Find out about Reall’s affordable housing projects on our Data Dashboard
- Sign up for Reall Talk – our digital newsletter